Mooncake Festival is around the corner. Suddenly have the feel of making mooncakes for my family and friends. Since it is my first attempt for baking mooncake, I have to do some research before I started. Have been searching the internet for the recipe and youtube to learn on the techniques on how to make mooncake.
Ingredient: (13 mini mooncakes)
220g plain flour
60g peanut oil or corn oil
130g golden syrup
1 tsp alkaline water
480g lotus seed paste
salted egg yolk (optional)
roasted melon seeds (optional) - Roast the melon seed in the oven at 160C and when they start popping, you can remove them from the oven
1 yolk + 1 tsp water lightly beaten and strain
- Mix peanut oil, golden syrup and alkaline water together in a bowl and put this bowl in another bowl of boiling water. Stir till mixture is well combine.
- Fold in sifted flour and mix till a dough is formed. Cover the mixing bowl with a wet towel and set aside for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Divide dough and filling into small balls according to the size of your mould. Flatten the dough with sides thinner than the centre.
- Wrap in the filling and mould it into a ball shape. Coat it with flour.
- Dust mooncake mould lightly with flour and put in dough-wrapped filling.
- Dislodge the mooncakes from its mould and place mooncakes on slightly greased trays.
- Spray the mooncakes with some water. Bake at 170C for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, cool the mooncakes for 10 minutes then apply egg glace and bake for another 10minutes or till golden brown. If you are doing standard size mooncakes, the baking time might be longer.
- Store cooled mooncakes in an airtight container and serve only after 3 days to let the baked mooncakes to "return oil" ( 回 油 ) .
Stir until the mixture is well combine as shown in the picture on the right
When a dough is form, let it rest for about 45 minutes. Then you can prepare the salted egg yolks.
Bake the salted egg yolks at 170C for 2 - 3 minutes.
#2,3 Wrap the yolk with the filling paste you use.
#4 Flatten the pastry with sides thinner than the centre.
#5,6 Wrap the filling with the flatten pastry.
For the small ball scale,
- My mini mooncake mould can hold a total of 90g, so I used 45g pastry and 45g filling.
- Fillings = lotus seed paste + melon seeds + salted egg yolk
(You can also adjust the amount depending on your preference; e.g more filling and less pastry or vice versa)
p/s: Mooncake moulds differ in sizes, so please adjust the weight of pastry and filling according to the size of your mould.
Bake in preheated oven at 170°C for 10 minutes. Remove and leave to cool. After that, brush with egg glaze and bake for another 10 minutes or till done.
This looks pretty nice for my first attempt in baking mooncakes. Felt so satisfied with the outcome I get. Seems that I'm quite talented in such stuff huh? haha.... Besides, I can also save some money in buying those expensive mooncakes d. =D
The inner look of the mooncake
Happy Mooncake Festival
Shared it with Love,
Try it out!!!